Monday 29 July 2013

My personal challenge...

chal·lenge  (chlnj)
n.
1. a. A call to engage in a contest, fight, or competition: a challenge to a duel.
   b. An act or statement of defiance; a call to confrontation: a challenge to the government's authority.
2. A demand for explanation or justification; a calling into question: a challenge to a theory.
3. A test of one's abilities or resources in a demanding but stimulating undertaking: a career that offers a challenge.
 
As some of you may know, Dale and I partook in the Imfolozi MTB Challenge this past weekend; a 55km MTB "race" through the iMfolozi Game Park in Northern KZN. I thought I'd look up the definition of the word "challenge" to see if it was appropriate for what we experienced - 100%. This ride was honestly the most challenging thing I have ever done in my entire life; I had to fight against my own body and mind to make it to the end, questioning my sanity the entire time, and testing my limits to the extreme. But it was all worth the feeling at the end of those 55km of heartache, sweat and tears - indescribable pride and the realisation that you CAN do anything you set your mind to, as long as you want it badly enough.

The day started off at 4:30am on Saturday... I think I can safely say that nowhere else in the world would you be woken by laughing hyenas to start a MTB race through a big five game reserve. What type of people in their right minds would drive an hour and a half into a game reserve full of Lions, Elephants, Buffaloes and other large scary game, only to hop off the bus and onto a mountain bike to ride almost 60km back to where they came from???? Crazy people.... or in my case, blissfully ignorant ones! I honestly had no idea what I had gotten myself into, and was nonchalantly brushing aside Dale's "oooooo Leechie! Are you nervous yet? It's so far...." remarks on the bus ride to the start, believing them to be poor attempts at psyching me out. I was chilled, I could do this, I'd done a couple of 20km rides in the last 6 months (okay, maybe only one...) so I'd be absolutely fine. Piece of cake.

uh.....Naat.

We started off in high spirits - a group of super-great-amazingly-fit-and-experienced-MTB-veterans..... and Leechie, AKA MTBvirgin-what-was-I-thinking-newbie.


Bus ride
Loops and I

Dale, Me, Loops and Rob (All very happy and clean)

The first 10km was actually great. Long, gradual uphills; some zooty single track through recently burnt off Rhino territory; a fun river crossing and my first encounter with sand - it almost felt like a lazy Sunday outride. I thought "this is great, 55km is going to be a walk in the park!".

What happens when old people take photos....note the ranger on the lookout for crocs! (not the shoes...)

Then came the most horrendous uphill in the whole park, a 1.5km stretch of eroded jeep track with a gradient of 89.9 degrees (actually it could possibly have been closer to 90). The mother of all bitches, the destroyer of souls, the annihilator of naivety and innocence - I think you get the picture. The only solace after walking up this monster, dragging my bike with me, was the 17km water point at the top where field rangers welcomed us with bacon and egg rolls for breakfast. Talk about a pick-me-up!

Approx 20km into the ride....see that distant hill in the middle? yup......
After a momentary interlude, we were back on the road again. The heat around this time was easily raising the mercury to about 35 degrees, and I was struggling. Hectic physical exercise, I can do - heat on the other hand is a killer to me.... By the time we hit the 34km water stop, I was ready to throw in the towel. Everything was hurting. My hurt was hurting. Serious sense of humour failure.

My husband is awesome. He watched me curl up into a ball of self pity in the shade of a parksboard vehicle, calmly fetched ice-cold water for me, stroked my head, fed me a banana, and then got me onto my feet again and onto my bike, and pushed me down the next hill. He stuck with me the whole way, encouraging and supporting me. He's amazing like that.

After my moment in the shade, I caught a second wind, and with the end in sight (not really) soldiered on towards glory and a cold beer. I can happily report that I only bailed once (into a big pile of sand) during the whole excursion, and whilst my husband laughed and took a photo, he also bailed (HA!).

 
Crossing the confluence of the Black and White Umfolozi Rivers - a truly awesome experience! (that's me in the middle)
 
Crossing that finish line in just over 6 hours was a great achievement as I almost didn't make it at all. There were no hoards of people shouting my name or throwing roses, no big hoohaa or song and dance - just that deep seeded knowledge that I had done it for myself. Me. The power of the mind is a great thing, and now that I have mastered my first big MTB challenge, I look forward to preparing for the next one - and next time around I actually will prepare a little!! Bring it on, I can do anything now. Childbirth is going to be a breeze.... ;-)

On a more serious note:

The Wild Series events are all geared towards nature conservation and fund raising for endangered species. This event really inspired and touched me. I want to do more to conserve our valuable natural assets. Did you know that more than 550 Rhino's have been poached in South Africa this year alone? We were privileged enough to see 9 Rhinos in the reserve while we were there, but if things carry on the way that they are going at the moment, I doubt that our children will have the same opportunity. Please take a moment out of your day to visit my charity page Save our Rhino's!! . If every single person who reads this blog donates just R100, I believe that R10 000 is a realistic goal. It would be the best birthday present ever.

One of the Rhinos we saw in iMfolozi this weekend - Magnificent isn't he?
This is my personal challenge to you all this week xoxoxoxo
Do you have what it takes?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Leigh, I would like to donate to this. Please send your details :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, that is so great!!! Thanks so much :) If you click on the Save our Rhinos!! link above in my blog post, it will take you directly to the GivenGain page where you can donate using your credit card or direct bank transfer. Every little bit counts, so thanks again! xx

      Delete