Monday 18 May 2015

Back from sabbatical!

I cannot believe that it has been 5 months since my last post!!!!! No excuses people...life is just crazy like that! Phew! But I finally have a chance to sit down and catch up on some overdue blog posts! Goodness but we've had a marvellously busy festive season and new year...new pivots, new dairies, new holiday destinations and new friends! So many new things! It's all very exhausting, I can assure you...

I must apologise for my serious lack of blog posts lately, but the honest truth is - there has been no time! We have been so busy with all the new developments on the farm (and a few of our own...) that we are literally passed out by 8pm every evening, with no spare time in between for hobbies or frivolities! But I promise to get back on the wagon and give more regular updates on the goings-on around here...as well as revive Frankie's fun Friday Farm Facts :)

So, lets catch up shall we?


We had a scorching hot December/January with very little rain. Here's a pic of the heifers cooling off in their drinking trough! Silly buggers...

 Dale and I had an AMAZING New Year's holiday in Semongkong Lodge in Lesotho (AMAZING, you must go there), where we somehow, betwixt all of the festivities, managed to create a little human being - Yay us! Said human will be arriving in September 2015, and already promises to be a giant, showing long legs and steady weight gain in the latest scans...eish! We are thrilled, and cannot wait to fill our big house with lots of kids and their junk.

We also met a bunch of really cool people, who joined us in abseiling 207m down a shear cliff and recklessly galloping across the Lesotho highlands on crazy basotho racing steeds - needless to say, they are as crazy as we are! Hopefully we'll do it all again next year.

Farm-wise, since we last chatted, there have been many more Pivot developments: new fences going in, hedges coming out, dams being pumped full, new roads being planned, lands being prepped, and practically the entire farm has been de-stumped and revamped in preparation for the new infrastructural developments! Very exciting stuff... We have also had the go ahead from the bank to build a new dairy, so we are smashing up the old one and building a state of the art, brand spanking new dairy on top of it, which should be ready come August this year. 

WAAAAAYY too much of excitement! 

This also means that we have migrated both herds into one dairy until then (which made for stressful times in the beginning) and are working day and night to keep those bovines at peak performance! The new pivots are up and running, and the grass is growing like a house on fire, so hopefully by the time the new dairy is in place we'll be well on our way to reaching peak efficiency! The builders are currently digging the foundations, and should start the concrete work tomorrow already!

 More pics to follow!

The beginnings of the new shed.
Before the great chop...
Check out that tummy...
So, what with all this running about and constant dusty/dirty work conditions, I got over my long hair and chopped it all off! I will say that I have no idea why I didn't do it sooner - short hair is marvellously easy to manage, and far less prone to accumulating black jacks and cow poo...and my husband likes it too which is an added bonus!

Well, let me love and leave you all for now - sorry again for the terribly long hiatus! This lady is back up to speed and looking forward to some frantic blogging over the next few weeks! Hopefully I'll hear some feedback from you guys too - let me know what you want to read about, and I'll do my best to satisfy your blog needs! I'll also introduce you to our newest addition, a little black Retriever cross Labrador who is currently stealing everyone's hearts(and food!).

Ciao for now! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment