Monday 24 June 2013

You're so vain...

Women confuse the hell out of me. I know I am one, but still, girls can be "cray cray" (as my little sis puts it) about the way they look and what others think of them. So much so that they're willing to spend thousands of rands on cosmetics and trending fashion and accessories. All in the name of beauty - or a better word for it - vanity.

Don't get me wrong - I think every lady should feel beautiful. I just don't think that beauty should be such an unhealthy obsession.You should feel good about yourself every day, accepting who you are and loving life.

Are there not more important things to worry about than making sure that no one ever sees you without makeup on? Is injecting live bacteria into your face something that makes you feel sexy? Why on earth would you want to tattoo make-up onto your face or superglue plastic claws onto your fingers????


I just don't get it.

Just think about it. There's always one "poppie" at any function that you've been to that looks drop dead gorgeous in stilettos and the latest jenny button ensemble with her jimmy choo shoes, and who the guys all sneak furtive, envious glances towards every 5 minutes. Eau-de-Stutterfords-perfume-counter wafts off her in waves, as she clutches her brutal fruit in her perfectly manicured hands, and flicks her Brazilian Blow seductively over her shoulders. What you don't see is the HOURS of preparation that went into this little show - the painful waxing, plucking, scrubbing, pulling, pinching price of "beauty".

I did a bit of research into the costs involved in maintaining such a high standard of self-image. Here's what I came up with so far (not even going FULL poppie) and I think it's pretty conservative:


Spa manicure: R240                                                  Face cleanser and toner: R150
Spa pedicure: R270                                                  Anti-wrinkle face cream (day, spf): R120
Full leg wax: R170                                                    Anti-wrinkle night cream: R160
Bikini wax: R70                                                        Make-up: R300
Brow wax and tint: R100
Eyelash extensions: R150
Hair Cut, Colour and Treatment: R1000
Shampoo and Conditioner (from salon): R600
Morroccan Oil: R315/100ml

That's a total of R3645 per month - a whopping R43 740 per year! WTF????

Personally, I'll stick to my BIC razor (R29.99 for six) and colgate shampoo & conditioner (R21.99ea), and spend the remainder on a fabulous trip to Brazil, where I'll sip cocktails and watch the sunset with my hubby who makes endearing jokes about my bushy eyebrows and ski-ramp nose - the little imperfections that make me unique and beautiful, and absolutely perfect, just the way I am....






No comments:

Post a Comment